Global shipping/customs ProbsDifference in surface mail wait time between different shops

• mercelia
    merceliaRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline8 Antworten
    Vor 3 Monaten • Aktualisiert Vor 3 Monaten
    [Edit] Thank you guys for answering my question! I think I have a better understanding now. I would delete this forum since I don't need it anymore, but I'm not sure how to do that [End edit]

So this may be a dumb question, sorry if it is. But why is it some stores take significantly longer to ship through surface mail than others?

I'm still fairly new to the figure community, I only got more serious about it this year. I've ordered a few figures, all through surface mail since it's cheaper. Every shop seems to say it will take 2-3 months to arrive, which is perfectly fine by me.

But after ordering from several different shops, I've noticed that's not true at all for some stores. My order from Ninoma arrived after 3 months just like they said. My order from Solaris is nearing 3 months now, so I'm hoping it will arrive soon.

But an order I made on Ukiyo Kumo back in January keeps getting pushed back, and after emailing them and asking them about it they said it won't arrive until around August or October, and I haven't even been given a tracking number. They've assured me that my figures are secure, but I can't help but feel nervous that I will never get them.

Does "surface mail" mean different things depending on what shop you are using? And how can I know which ones will take 2-3 months and which will take 9-10 months?
  • TheFangKing23
    TheFangKing23Regular Boarder • lv7
    Offline4 Antworten
    Vor 3 Monaten • Aktualisiert Vor 3 Monaten
    merceliaVor 3 Monaten#110727703So this may be a dumb question, sorry if it is. But why is it some stores take significantly longer to ship through surface mail than others?
    I'm still fairly new to the figure community, I only got more serious about it this year. I've ordered a few figures, all through surface mail since it's cheaper. Every shop seems to say it will take 2-3 months to arrive, which is perfectly fine by me.
    But after ordering from several different shops, I've noticed that's not true at all for some stores. My order from Ninoma arrived after 3 months just like they said. My order from Solaris is nearing 3 months now, so I'm hoping it will arrive soon.
    But an order I made on Ukiyo Kumo back in January keeps getting pushed back, and after emailing them and asking them about it they said it won't arrive until around August or October, and I haven't even been given a tracking number. They've assured me that my figures are secure, but I can't help but feel nervous that I will never get them.
    I'm very new to buying things from other countries (I'm in the US) so I'm a little confused. Does "surface mail" mean different things depending on what shop you are using? And how can I know which ones will take 2-3 months and which will take 9-10 months?

Well Ukiyo Kumo is a U.S based retailer so no surface shipping from them. U.S based retailers are anywhere from 4-10 months behind Japanese release because of the state of shipping right now. I'm guessing you got a pre-order from them which is why it won't be here for awhile and why you don't have a tracking number. They haven't received their stock yet so it's just a waiting game. And surface shipping time is just luck. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, since it's shipped by boat and some boats get priority when it comes to processing and unloading and such
  • lauralone
    lauraloneRegular Boarder • lv19
    Offline14 Antworten
    Vor 3 Monaten
    merceliaVor 3 Monaten#110727703So this may be a dumb question, sorry if it is. But why is it some stores take significantly longer to ship through surface mail than others?
    I'm very new to buying things from other countries (I'm in the US) so I'm a little confused. Does "surface mail" mean different things depending on what shop you are using? And how can I know which ones will take 2-3 months and which will take 9-10 months?
    Hi,
    It depends on factors such as:
    how long it takes to fill the container
    what other countries the boat has to port at
    delays with being able to go into port (I'm sure you've seen plenty of media coverage on the situation here in the US)
    As for the Ukiyo Kumo situation, I am a bit confused. Ukiyo Kumo is a US based shop so that means that they don't have the figures yet, much less a tracking number to provide. (If you made a pre-order that is) They are probably receiving the figures through some form of surface mail but they will not be able to ship them to customers until they have the items. They typically get figures around a month after other US based shops. They ship using priority mail if I remember correctly. I can assure you their packing and customer support is amazing if you are concerned about your figures arriving safe and sound.
    How long shipping takes is not under the shop's control. Once they release the parcel the shop knows as much as you do when it comes to the shipment status, and shipping estimates are a bit wonky right now due to all of the things that are going on around the world.
  • mercelia
    Offline8 Antworten
    Vor 3 Monaten
    TheFangKing23Vor 3 Monaten#110728380Well Ukiyo Kumo is a U.S based retailer so no surface shipping from them. U.S based retailers are anywhere from 4-10 months behind Japanese release because of the state of shipping right now. I'm guessing you got a pre-order from them which is why it won't be here for awhile and why you don't have a tracking number. They haven't received their stock yet so it's just a waiting game. And surface shipping time is just luck. Sometimes it takes a bit longer, since it's shipped by boat and some boats get priority when it comes to processing and unloading and such

Oh I had no idea! I ordered them so long ago I guess I didn't remember they were US based. That makes alot more sense, thank you for letting me know! I don't feel as worried now
  • mercelia
    Offline8 Antworten
    Vor 3 Monaten
    lauraloneVor 3 Monaten#110729262Hi,
    It depends on factors such as:
    how long it takes to fill the container
    what other countries the boat has to port at
    delays with being able to go into port (I'm sure you've seen plenty of media coverage on the situation here in the US)
    As for the Ukiyo Kumo situation, I am a bit confused. Ukiyo Kumo is a US based shop so that means that they don't have the figures yet, much less a tracking number to provide. (If you made a pre-order that is) They are probably receiving the figures through some form of surface mail but they will not be able to ship them to customers until they have the items. They typically get figures around a month after other US based shops. They ship using priority mail if I remember correctly. I can assure you their packing and customer support is amazing if you are concerned about your figures arriving safe and sound.
    How long shipping takes is not under the shop's control. Once they release the parcel the shop knows as much as you do when it comes to the shipment status, and shipping estimates are a bit wonky right now due to all of the things that are going on around the world.

I see, I actually had forgotten they were US based, so that makes alot more sense now.
    Yeah the whole weird situations is what has been making it difficult for me to know what is usual or unusual as far as shipping goes, since I have no reference for how shipping went before the pandemic. It's interesting to know more about it from the companies point of view, I guess I wrongly assumed they would have more information available to them then they do.
  • Dem Club beitreten um sich der Diskussion anzuschließen.
  • 5 Antworten